hair loss and dialysis????
05-23-2009, 12:11 PM
hair loss and dialysis????
Question - Is there any link between hair loss and dialysis? I have had 3-4 bouts in the last 1 1/2 yrs where my hair seems to come out in clumps. Smoetimes I have to clear the shower drain 2-3 times while taking a shower. This was not happening before I was on dialysis. I also have hypothyroidism. But, my labs from May indicate that my levels are acceptable at this time - so this should not be a factor. All in all - I used to have ALOT of thick healthy hair. Now, I have not so much and it seems to be not healthy. I have asked at the dialysis clinic and they say that there is nothing with the dialysis that can cause this. Also, about 2-3 times since I started dialysis - all of the skin on my hands and feet sloughs off in sheets - almost like a snake.

None of this happened before dialysis. Why is it happening now if dialysis is not causing it?????????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2009, 08:23 PM
RE: hair loss and dialysis????
(05-23-2009 12:11 PM)tricia1970 Wrote:  Question - Is there any link between hair loss and dialysis? I have had 3-4 bouts in the last 1 1/2 yrs where my hair seems to come out in clumps. Smoetimes I have to clear the shower drain 2-3 times while taking a shower. This was not happening before I was on dialysis. I also have hypothyroidism. But, my labs from May indicate that my levels are acceptable at this time - so this should not be a factor. All in all - I used to have ALOT of thick healthy hair. Now, I have not so much and it seems to be not healthy. I have asked at the dialysis clinic and they say that there is nothing with the dialysis that can cause this. Also, about 2-3 times since I started dialysis - all of the skin on my hands and feet sloughs off in sheets - almost like a snake.

None of this happened before dialysis. Why is it happening now if dialysis is not causing it?????????

Hi Tricia,
did you notice hair loss after having your children?, I did and I mean
I lost it by the clumps, I still lose hair, which is normal, but I think
I lose more than what is considered normal too. I do believe kidney
disease has something to do with it, I did some digging for info,
and this is what I found.

Quote:Zinc deficiency is related to hair loss and nail changes. People with CKD are at high risk for zinc deficiency for several reasons. A low protein diet is low in zinc and may not meet a person’s daily needs. Loss of appetite, particularly for meat and other protein foods, decreases zinc intake. Finally, a diet prescription that restricts beans, nuts, whole grains and dairy products contributes to zinc deficiency since these are the main sources of zinc in the American diet. In addition to hair loss and nail changes, zinc deficiency can cause taste changes, poor wound healing, skin lesions and impaired immune response.

Other nutrients related to hair and nail changes that chronic kidney disease patients or those on dialysis may be deficient in include calcium, iron, and B vitamins. To treat and prevent these deficiencies, dialysis patients are prescribed a renal vitamin that contains high levels of B vitamins. Blood levels of calcium and iron are checked monthly and supplements are prescribed if levels are low.

Medicines

Certain medicines can also cause hair and nail changes. You can ask your nephrologist and nurse to have tests done to determine if medicines you have been prescribed are related to your hair and nail symptoms. It is important to know if medicine you are taking is causing your bodily changes. But do not stop taking your medicine until your doctor tells you to do so. Medicines could be added or changed if results show a link between the medication you are taking and your hair and nail change. There may be a medicine that can substitute for the one you are prescribed.

Reactions to drugs can be another reason for hair loss. Switching your dialysis modality can also cause changes in your hair.

What to do when your hair and nails change

It is recommended that, if you are a patient on dialysis, you speak with your health care team when you notice changes in your hair and nails. Sometimes thyroid problems can cause hair loss. Again, if protein and/or zinc are too low in your kidney diet, your renal dietitian can guide you to better eating and recommend the right supplements. Your doctor may order a lab test of your blood to detect any abnormal hormone levels, such as thyroid hormone.

For the most part, hair loss is temporary for dialysis patients and will begin to grow back after a couple of months. In the meantime, here are some tips to help deal with temporary hair loss:

Avoid perms and coloring (which can be harsh for your hair)
Don’t use tight rubber bands
Consult with your hair stylist on ways to mask thinning hair
Eat right amount of protein (discuss this with your dietitian)
Take your special renal vitamin as prescribed
Summary

When your hair, fingernails and toenails begin to change, it may be connected to your chronic kidney disease. You and the people around you may notice changes such as hair loss, hair breakage, nail discoloration and brittle nails. Aside from normal aging, in kidney patients these changes can be due to malnutrition and side effects of medications. It is recommended that people with chronic kidney disease talk to their health care team about how to correct it.
this is where I found the info

~The most important things in the world
were accomplished by people who have
kept on trying when there seemed to be
no hope left~
05-24-2009, 08:56 AM
thankyou SS!
06-06-2010, 05:49 AM
I had the very same problem with hair loss. My nephrologist said it does happen with dialysis clients. He prescribed zinc for me 6mos. ago and I am so happy that my hair has come back and then some. Hope this is helpful
06-06-2010, 07:55 PM
thanks deb

Have a Heart that never Hates...Have a Smile that never Fades...Have a Touch that never Hurts...and have a Love that never ends Kiss