Extra Precaution During Dialysis
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Extra Precaution During Dialysis
moisture detection would definitely be added safety to the patient.
I know in B.C. that Nocturnal home hemo dialysis patients add them
during the night, I'm not exactly sure as to what type they use.
Perm cath patients just add safety clamps.

Quote:Redsense Medical's Product For Blood Loss Detection During Hemodialysis - Ready For The European Market

According to standards, dialysis equipment must provide a system to protect the patient from blood loss from venous needle dislodgement. Figures about reported annual deaths due to venous needle dislodgement in the US vary between 5 and 10.

For several reasons, companies producing dialysis equipment have long searched for a better solution than the method used today: venous pressure monitoring. The problem with this method is that medical staff believes it will detect venous needle dislodgement. Most likely, it won't.

The lack of a reliable solution has led some clinics to use moisture detectors such as enuresis pads. But these products don't have blood detection as "intended use" and their reliability is uncertain. They have never been clinically tested.

Extra surveillance is another way to make up for the lack of adequate alarms. Normally, medical staff can move around between rooms but in some clinics, rooms with patients in dialysis must at all times be attended by a nurse. Extra surveillance demand resources.

At home, there's no surveillance at all. In nocturnal home hemodialysis, which provides many benefits for both patients and for the health care system, the added safety of a tried and tested alarm becomes even more valuable.

The clinical trial included 213 dialysis treatments with 40 patients involved. The Swedish Medical Products Agency has approved the product as a class I product according to the Medical Device Directive 93/42/EEC. The FDA approval process required for sales in the US is expected to finish in a few months time.

http://www.redsensemedical.com

~The most important things in the world
were accomplished by people who have
kept on trying when there seemed to be
no hope left~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
RE: Extra Precaution During Dialysis
sunshine Wrote:moisture detection would definitely be added safety to the patient.  
I know in B.C. that Nocturnal home hemo dialysis patients add them
during the night, I'm not exactly sure as to what type they use.
Perm cath patients just add safety clamps.http://www.redsensemedical.com

Wow that would really be great if that became used as the norm and was reliable!!

[Image: PageStartPage.jpg]

[Image: angiepinkglitter200x100.gif]
[Image: SpjzM.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
I can imagine why so many home patients may be unable to have a good
sleep, the fear of needle slipping out could scare
anybody enough that they end up back at in center care.

~The most important things in the world
were accomplished by people who have
kept on trying when there seemed to be
no hope left~
03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I hear that. I know while I sleep, sometimes I may kick the sheets off and even push my pillow off the bed. I could only imagin the amount of movement I must make while I am sleeping. I would be absolutely terrified to sleep with any needles stuck in me.

Co - Administrator of KidneyKorner.com
My personal site = The Server-Admins. Online Gaming Community
Experience is the greatest teacher.
03-08-2007, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2007 06:10 AM by angieskidney.)
Yeah, while I was on the Nocturnal Peritoneal Dialysis (CCPD)'s Cycler the machine used to alarm because I would roll onto the line. I could just imagine needles in a fistula .. but they don't let you do it at home at night unless you are using blunts in buttonholes right?

[Image: angiepinkglitter200x100.gif]
[Image: SpjzM.jpg]
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
hubby is on nocturnal and uses blunts. It would be very dificult for a needle to come out beause of the way it is taped.he also uses sensors for blood leaks. The same ones they use to train kids who wet the bed. There are nights when he is restless and gets into all kinds of shapes. I know the sensors will work because we have tried them with water and with blood. When he irst started we had a few nights when the sensors alarmed ust from the sweat on his arm. We now put a 2x2 under the sensor or make sure it is on top of the first lot of tape we put on.

Don't take your organs to heaven. Heaven knows we need them here.