Starfruit - Warning for all Dialysis Patients!
11-17-2006, 01:52 AM
Exclamation Starfruit - Warning for all Dialysis Patients!
Starfruit:

My dietitian never explained why but I remember my ex-boyfriend Steve wanted me to try new things, Starfruit being one of them. I said no I better not without checking with my dietitian. He said, "Come on!! Not like it will kill you or anything!!!!"

I found out at my next clinic day (I was on PD at the time so I only went once a month for checkups) that if I had taken it it could have killed me!

There was a poster on the wall that said:

STAY AWAY FROM
STARFRUIT!

IT CAN KILL YOU
IF YOU ARE ON
DIALYSIS!

[Image: starfruit.jpg]

I didn't know more than that so I did a search:

Grapefruit:

ANOTHER one to worry about is this:
Quote:Grapefruit Warning * this is a LINK!!

There is a growing body of evidence that shows grapefruit juice interacts with many of the medications that dialysis patients are prescribed.

DO NOT drink grapefruit juice if you take any of these medications. If you aren't sure if you take any of these medications, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
  • Blood pressure lowering agents (calcium channel blockers)
  • Persenadine
  • Sedatives (benzodiazepines)
  • Estrogens
  • Quinidine
  • Saquinavir
  • Cholesterol lowering agents (statins)
  • Cyclosporin (immunosuppressants)

[Image: angiepinkglitter200x100.gif]
[Image: SpjzM.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2008, 04:57 AM
RE: Starfruit - Warning for all Dialysis Patients!
WHY does starfriuit kill you? Is it high potassium or some other reason? And how much star fruit or grapefruit is harmful? Does anyone know how much it takes? I suspect a little grapefruit in a fruit salad of more Ok fruits wouldn't do much harm but a half of grapefruit or a glass of juice (the worst choice!) probably would interact. Am I right?

Does anyone know?
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I read in one reference that symptoms were observed in kidney patients who had consumed as little as 1/2 of a star fruit or 8 oz. of starfruit juice. Apparently it is the combination of oxalic acid and some other substances in the starfruit that make it extra toxic for us. I was told never to consume any grapefruit or grapefruit juice as it would negate my blood pressure medication.

To the stars through difficulties.
03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for more information on the starfruit.
03-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Mom3 Wrote:WHY does starfriuit kill you? Is it high potassium or some other reason? And how much star fruit or grapefruit is harmful? Does anyone know how much it takes? I suspect a little grapefruit in a fruit salad of more Ok fruits wouldn't do much harm but a half of grapefruit or a glass of juice (the worst choice!) probably would interact. Am I right?

Does anyone know?

great read here that will answer your questions Mom3

link

~The most important things in the world
were accomplished by people who have
kept on trying when there seemed to be
no hope left~
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Great clinical article. Just what I was looking for. Thanks Sunshine.
05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I guess the message is NOT get around to everyone G

Quote:Of star fruits and kidneys

May 18, 2008

THE recent newspaper reports on the incident in which a Malaysian slipped into coma after consuming star fruit has caused some anxiety among the public.

Following that, it was stated that such an incident can happen in individuals who have kidney failure.

The National Kidney Foundation of Malaysia (NKF) would like to clarify further that reports in the medical literature have implicated the star fruit as causing neurological complications including coma and even death only in patients who have severe kidney failure, including those on dialysis.

The kidneys are important organs for excreting bodily wastes and products derived from ingested medications or other compounds.

When the kidneys fail, these products accumulate and can only be removed by dialysis, which is an artificial process. In the case of star fruit, it is postulated that it contains a certain neurotoxin (a poison that affects the central nervous system) that can be excreted normally in persons with normal kidney function and thus do not lead to any major complications.

However its consumption by those with severe kidney failure or those on dialysis can potentially cause serious complication as the neurotoxin would not be excreted. Some of the toxin can be removed by dialysis.

The practice of all nephrologists in the country is to advise patients on dialysis or those with severe kidney failure to avoid taking star fruit. NKF concurs with this view and had similarly advised patients on its dialysis programme.

link

no hope left~
05-13-2011, 11:28 PM
There are most important things in dialis pationt are never take high does medicine,dont hard work and take vitamin a vegitable and fruites,avoid green leaf vegetable.
09-26-2011, 09:19 PM
http://ndtplus.oxfordjournals.org/conten...l.pdf+html

no hope left~